இனிய தமிழ்ப் புத்தாண்டு நல்வாழ்த்துக்கள் !!!. Wish you all a very Happy Tamil new year!!! Semiya payasam is a traditional sweet of South India .This is a quick and simple payasam that can be prepared during any festival or special occasion and here comes my version of it.
- 1 cup – Semiya (vermicelli)
- 2 or 3 cups – Milk (as per desired consistency)
- 2 cups – Water (as needed for cooking)
- 1/2 to 1 cup – Sugar (as needed)
- 1 no – Cardamom (crushed)
- 6 or 7 – Cashew nuts
- 5 nos – Raisin
- 2 or 3 tsp – Ghee
- Heat ghee in a pan, add cashews and raisin roast them till they are golden brown .Remove and keep it aside. In the same pan, add semiya/vermicelli and roast them slightly brown.
- In a heavy bottomed vessel, cook vermicelli with 2 cups of water or with sufficient water needed to cover it .When vermicelli gets cooked, keep the flame in low and add milk along with required sugar, stir it well.
- Allow it to cook for about 10 - 15 mins, until payasam thickens up slightly.
- Finally add crushed cardamom, roasted cashews and raisin, mix it gently. Remove from flame. Serve it hot or cold.
- Semiya payasam thickens as it gets cooled. If you are going to enjoy payasam after it is cooled, be prepared to add more milk!