Paasi paruppu sundal can be prepared instantly and easily in no time. You can prepare this yummy sundal at the time of navarathri or as evening snacks for school going kids.
Serves 2 to 3 people
- 1/4 cup – Paasi paruppu / moong dal / split green gram
- 1 no – Green chilli
- 1 /4 tsp – Ginger chopped
- 2 tbsp – Coconut grated
- 1/8 tsp – Turmeric powder
- Few drops of lemon juices
- 1 1/2 cup - Water
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp – Oil
- 1/8 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- 4 or 5 nos – Curry leaves
- Take a heavy bottomed vessel, add washed paasi paruppu/ moong dal, 1 1/2 cup water, turmeric and salt, bring it to boil.
- Let it cook over medium flame for 10 to 12 minutes (approximately). Stir in between and do not to get it burnt.
- Paasi paruppu / moong dal should be cooked perfectly. It should be soft inside at the same time it should hold its shape. Do not over cook or under cook the dal. Drain the water and keep the cooked moong dal separately.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given in the list for seasoning. Add chopped ginger and green chilli, saute for few seconds. Then add cooked moong dal and salt if required, mix everything well. Finally add grated coconut and few drops of lemon juice, mix well and switch off the stove. Paasi paruppu sundal is ready to be served.
- Instead of green chillies you can add dry red chillies.
- Moong dal should not get over cooked (it should not be mushy) or under cooked. It should be perfectly soft inside and hold its shape.
- If you prefer you can soak moong dal before you cook.
- You can increase or decrease number of green chillies as per your spice level.