Granita is a traditional Italian dessert of pureed fresh fruit, sugar, lemon juice and ice cubes or water that is semi frozen and then scraped or shaved. They are very simple to prepare and usually contains very less ingredients. It is so versatile dessert that you may use almost any seasonal fruit to make a granita.
Serves 3 to 4
- 1 cup – Cantaloupe coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp – Sugar or add to taste
- 1/2 tsp - Fresh lemon juice or add to taste
- 1/2 cup - Ice cubes
- Fresh mint sprigs, for serving
- Add sugar, cantaloupe, lemon juice and ice cubes in a blender. Blend the mixture until smooth (puree it).
- Transfer the mixture to a freezer safe container. Freeze for 3 to 4 hours or even more until mixture becomes a firm slush. Scrape with a fork and serve in chilled glasses with mint.
- Store, covered in plastic wrap, until serving.
- Use the tines of a fork to scrape the granita into chilled bowls and serve.
- Freeze granita until firm and it may take more than 6 hours or overnight to get it done.
- You may increase or decrease amount of sugar as per your taste.