Baby potatoes are removed from the soil before they are fully grown. Baby potatoes are also known to be picked early to give them their sweet, buttery flavor and small size.
- 10 nos – Baby potato
- 10 nos – Sambar onion
- 2 nos – Garlic
- 1 tsp – Fennel seeds(perunjeeragam)
- 1 tsp – Cumin seeds(seeragam)
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 11/2 tsp – Red chili powder(as needed)
- 2 tsp – Coriander powder
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Salt as needed
- 1 1/2 tbsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram (ulunthu)
- 5 nos – Curry leaves
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- Boil baby potatoes, peel the skin and cut in to 4 pieces and keep it aside.
- Grind sambar onion, garlic, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder along with required salt to a coarse paste. Now mix this with boiled baby potatoes and marinate for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard seeds, split black gram, asafoetida and curry leaves. Add marinated baby potatoes and fry until everything is cooked and roasted.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with white rice.
- You can use whole baby potatoes as such instead of cutting in to 2 pieces.