Broken wheat upma is a healthy breakfast prepared with broken wheat / cracked wheat and vegetables. It goes well with homemade curd and pickle.
- 1 cup – Broken wheat / cracked wheat
- 8 nos – Sambar onion / small onion (chopped finely)
- 1 no – Tomato (small sized, chopped finely)
- 2 or 3 nos – Green chillies (slit open)
- 1 tsp – Ginger (chopped)
- 1/4 cup – Carrot (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup – Beans (finely chopped)
- 2 cup – Water ( if needed add more)
- Salt as needed
- 2 tsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram / ulunthu
- 1/4 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 4 or 5 nos – Fresh curry leaves
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- Heat oil in a pressure pan, season with items given for seasoning. Add chopped onion, green chillies, ginger along with required salt, saute until translucent.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and saute until mushy. Then add carrot and beans, saute for 2 mins. Add broken wheat and 2 cups of water, bring it to boil.
- Check for salt and pressure cook upto 2 to 3 whistles or until well cooked. Healthy and tasty broken wheat upma is ready. Serve hot with coconut chutney or homemade curd.
- If you do not like your upma to be sticky, then add 1 tsp of olive oil after you remove your upma from the stove.