Tomato rice or Thakkali sadham is an easy to make rice varieties for lunch box. It goes well with potato stir fry, potato chips and pickles.
- 1 cup – Raw rice (uncooked)
- 2 nos – Tomato (medium sized) (chopped finely)
- 1 no – Onion (chopped)
- 2 or 3 nos – Garlic (crushed)
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1/2 to 1 tsp – Red chilli powder
- 1/8 tsp – Sugar
- Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp – Sesame oil
- 1 no – Cinnamon stick / pattai
- 1 no – Clove
- 1 no – Bay leaf
- 1 no – Cardamom
- 1/4 tsp – Fennel seeds / Perunjeeragam
- 1/4 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 5 or 6 nos – Fresh curry leaves
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- Wash and soak rice for 30 mins. Pressure cook rice (raw rice 1:2 ratio) for 3 to 4 whistles or until well cooked. Spread the rice in a wide plate and allow them to cool completely.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given in the list for seasonings. Add onion and crushed garlic along with little salt, saute until translucent.
- Add tomatoes and saute until they are mushy. Then add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, sugar and required salt, saute until raw smell goes.
- Now add cooked rice and mix everything well together, allow them to cook for a minute. Switch off the stove and serve hot. Simple thakkali sadham / tomato rice is ready.
- You can also replace raw rice with basmati rice.
- You can increase or decrease the number of tomatoes according to its sourness.