Thayir semiya / curd semiya is a creamy dish prepared with vermicelli and curd/ thayir. This can be served during a party or gathering. Here comes the recipe.
Serves : 4 people
- 1 cup - Vermicelli / semiya (roasted)
- 1 cup - Curd / thayir / yogurt
- 1/4 cup - Milk (warm milk)
- 1 tbsp - Chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp - Grated carrot
- 10 nos - Cashew nuts
- 1 1/2 cup - Water
- Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp - Oil
- 1/4 tsp - Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp - Split black gram / ulunthu
- 1/4 tsp - Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp - Bengal gram / kadalai paruppu
- 1 tsp - Ginger (chopped or grated)
- 1 or 2 nos - Green chillies (chopped)
- 2 pinches - Asafoetida
- 5 or 6 nos - Fresh curry leaves
- Cook semiya /vermicelli in 1 1/2 cup of water until well cooked. Let it cool completely.
- Add thayir / curd, required salt to it and mix it well. Then add warm milk to it and once again mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan, fry cashew nuts and set it aside. In the remaining oil, season with items given in the list for seasoning, mix well. Garnish with fried cashew nuts, coriander leaves and grated carrot . Serve with pickle or mor milagai.
- Adjust the quantity of milk and yogurt according to the consistency you want.
- You can garnish with grated carrot, cucumber, pomegranate, raw mango etc.
- You can add sun dried red chilli instead of green chillies.
- Make sure the semiya is completely cool down before adding curd.
- For lunch box, add more milk and less curd, also add chopped or grated cucumber which prevents thayir semiya turning too sour.
- I used pre-roasted vermicelli. If you buy raw vermicelli then roast it with little oil in a frying pan.