Chicken biryani, hmmm nobody will say no to this flavourful and yummy biryani. I came to know this recipe from our family friend, that she learned it from a chef. Sambar onion and poppy seeds gives nice flavour to this biryani. Try it and let me know the result.
Serves 5 to 6
- 2 cups – Basmati rice
- 1/2 kg – Chicken with bones (cleaned)
- 2 nos – Onion (sliced lengthwise)
- 2 medium – Tomato (chopped)
- 4 nos – Green chillies
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp – Red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp – Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp – Garam masala powder
- 4 tbsp – Curd / yogurt
- 1 tsp – Lemon juice
- 3 cup - Water
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup – Mint leaves / pudina
- 1/4 cup – Coriander leaves / malli
- 5 to 6 nos – Sambar onion / small onion
- 5 nos – Garlic (chopped roughly)
- 1 1/2 inch – Ginger (chopped)
- 1/4 tsp – Poppy seeds / kasa kasa (soak it in water)
- 3 tbsp - Oil
- 3 tbsp - butter
- 3 no - Clove
- 2 nos - Cinnamon piece
- 2 nos - Cardamom
- 2 no - Bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp - Fennel seeds
- Wash and soak basmati rice for 20 to 30 mins, drain water completely and set it aside.
- Wash chicken and marinate it with turmeric powder and little salt. Set it aside.
- Take a blender, add mint leaves, coriander leaves, sambar onion, ginger, garlic and soaked poppy seeds, grind them to a slightly coarse puree. I call this as green puree. Set it aside.
- Heat oil and ghee in a pressure cooker, season it with items given in the list for seasoning along with green chillies. Add onion along with little salt, saute until they are slightly golden brown in color. Followed by chopped tomato, saute until mushy.
- Now add green puree and cook until oil ooze out. Add chicken along with little salt, mix well and saute for 1 or 2 minutes. Followed by turmeric powder, red chilli powder,coriander powder, garam masala powder and curd, mix well and cover with lid. Allow them to cook for 10 or more mins till the chicken is well coated in the masala.
- Add in the soaked Basmati rice and combine well. Pour in 3 cups of water , lemon juice and required salt, mix well.
- Now bring this mixture to a rolling boil and once rice is half done, reduce the flame to medium, cover the pressure cooker and cook it for 1 whistle. Once again reduce the flame to low and place a dosa pan under cooker, cook for 10 more mins. Switch off the stove and allow them to cool completely. Serve with any raita of your choice.
- Marinating chicken is very important to get soft and juicy chicken.
- If you don’t prefer dum method by keeping dosa pan, then you can skip that process and pressure cook biryani for up to 2 or 3 whistles or until rice and chicken is well cooked.
- You may increase or decrease the quantity of red chilli powder as per your spice level.
- Always wash chicken in lemon juice once or twice in order to avoid the stinky smell from chicken (kavuchi smell).