Oats have numerous uses in food. Oatmeal is chiefly eaten as porridge, baked goods such as oatcakes, oatmeal cookies, and oat bread.Oats extract is used to soothe skin conditions and it also helps lowering cholesterol.Since we got bored of normal adai in our family;i tried to make adai dosai out of oats and it tasted as good as the regular one.
- 1 cup – Powdered oats (no need to roast)
- 1/4 cup – Yellow split peas (Thuvaram paruppu / toor dhal)
- 1/4 cup – Bengal gram (Kadalai paruppu / channa dhal)
- 1/4 cup – Paasi paruppu (split moong dhal)
- 2 nos – Red chili
- 1 or 2 – Garlic cloves
- 1/4 inch – ginger
- 1/2 tsp – Fennel seeds (perunjeeragam)
- 1 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 1 no – Onion (chopped finely)
- 1 tbsp – coriander leaves
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- Salt as needed
- Water as needed
- Wash and soak all the lentils (Paruppu/dhal) in water for about 45 mins - 1 hr.
- Grind oats in a mixer grinder to a powdered form and keep it aside.
- Grind soaked lentils(drain the water completely) along with red chili, garlic, ginger, and fennel seeds to a coarse paste.
- In a wide mixing bowl add Powdered oats, ground lentils, chopped onion, cumin seeds, asafoetida, coriander leaves and required salt.
- Add water to make it to adai dosai batter consistency and keep it aside for an hour.
- Heat a tawa and spread the batter like we make for adai dosai. Drizzle oil and cook on both sides till golden brown.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney, spicy tomato or mint chutney.