Thayir sadham / curd rice / yogurt rice is a very popular South Indian dish especially in Tamilnadu. Curd rice prepared with white rice, curd/yogurt and some seasoning. Curd rice normally served with any variety of spicy Indian pickle or mor milagai vathal (green chillies cooked, soaked in butter milk and sun dried).
- 2 cups - Cooked rice (i used sona masoori)
- 1 cup - Curd / thayir / yogurt
- 1/4 cup - Milk (warm milk)
- 1 tbsp - Chopped coriander leaves
- Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp - Oil
- 1/4 tsp - Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp - Split black gram / ulunthu
- 1/4 tsp - Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp - Bengal gram / kadalai paruppu
- 1 tsp - Ginger (chopped or grated)
- 1 or 2 nos - Green chillies (chopped)
- 2 pinches - Asafoetida
- 5 or 6 nos - Fresh curry leaves
- Take a mixing bowl, add cooked rice and mash it nicely. Then add 1/2 cup of water and mix well so that no lumps are found. Allow the rice to cool completely.
- Add thayir / curd to it and mix it well. Then add warm milk to it and once again mix well.
- Finally add salt and season with items given in the list for seasoning, mix well. Garnish with grated carrot or pomegranate or chopped cucumber. Serve with pickle or mor milagai.
- I used cooked rice in this recipe instead you can take 1/2 cup rice and cook to prepare curd rice.
- Adjust the quantity of milk and yogurt according to the consistency you want.
- You can garnish with grated carrot, cucumber, pomegranate, raw mango etc.
- You can add dried red chilli instead of green chillies.
- Make sure the rice is completely cool down before adding curd.
- For lunch box, add more milk and less curd, also add chopped or grated cucumber which prevents curd rice turning too sour.