Arisi paruppu sadham is a simple and delicious rice with less ingredients that can be prepared in no time. I learned this recipe from my friend who is from Coimbatore and it seems a popular kongunadu dish. I loved it very much when I prepared for the very first time and it became one of my favorites now. Its easy to prepare and everyone in the family will like for sure.
- 1 cup – Raw rice
- 1/2 cup – Red gram / Toor dhal / Thuvaram paruppu
- 1 no – Onion (chopped lengthwise)
- 1 no – Tomato (chopped finely)
- 5 nos – Garlic
- 3 or 4 nos – Green chilli
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1 handful – Coriander leaves
- Salt as needed
- 3 1/2 cup – Water (increase or decrease according to desired consistency)
- 1 tbsp – Oil and ghee
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram/Ulunthu
- 1/4 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 1 pinch – Fenugreek seeds/Venthayam
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- 4 or 5 nos – Curry leaves
- Wash and soak rice and red gram/toor dhal for at least 30 mins. Set aside.
- Heat oil and ghee in a pressure cooker, season with items given for seasoning. Add garlic and green chillies, saute for few seconds. Then add onion and saute until slightly golden brown.
- Add tomato and coriander leaves, saute until mushy. Then add turmeric powder along with required salt and saute until raw smell goes.
- Now add rice and red gram, saute for few seconds. Then add required water (1:2 ratio) and check for salt. Close with lid and pressure cook for upto 4 or 5 whistles or until well cooked.
- Arisi paruppu sadham is ready. Serve hot with pickle and papad.
- I always like my arisi paruppu sadham to be firm and separated but not mushy. If you want it to be mushy then increase water ratio to 1:2 1/2.