Apple cinnamon tart is a mini pie which is crunchy outside and soft apple cinnamon filling inside. It is a best evening tea time snack. I have tried it for the first time and it came out very well. Here comes the recipe.
Ingredients: Yields 12 tarts
For outer crust:
- 2 1/4 cups - All Purpose Flour/ Maida
- 1/3 cup - Sugar
- 1 tsp - Baking Powder
- 1 tsp - Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp – Salt
- 3/4 cup - Cold Unsalted Butter (cut into cubes)
- Cold water (for kneading) as needed
- Milk for brushing
For apple cinnamon filling:
- 4 tsp – Butter
- 5 nos – Apple (medium sized) (remove skin and chop into fine pieces)
- 1/2 cup – Sugar
- 1 tsp – Cinnamon powder
Making of crust:
- Take a mixing bowl, add all purpose flour, butter cubes, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt and rub with your palms to incorporate the butter into the flour.
- Add cold water little by little and mix well together to form a crumbly dough. Place them in a cling /plastic wraps, cover and refrigerate for upto 1 hour or until firm. Crust is ready for making tart, set aside.
Making of apple cinnamon filling:
- Heat a large pan, add butter and sugar. Bring it to boil and cook until butter and sugar melts, then add chopped apples and cinnamon and mix well.
- Cook on medium flame for 5-10 minutes until apple pieces are soft and all the syrup is absorbed. Remove from stove and allow them to cool.
Making of apple cinnamon tart:
- Take a cup cake tray and spray little oil or butter over it. Set aside.
- Remove dough from refrigerator, take a bigger lemon sized dough and roll it out like a chappathi not too thin or too thick. Place them nicely on a cup cake tray as shown in the picture.
- Now fill this cups with apple cinnamon filling. Then take a bigger lemon sized dough and roll it like a chappathi again and cut them in to thin strips. Decorate the top of the tart as shown in the picture. Seal them properly at the edges and brush it with milk.
- Preheat oven for 350 F or 180 C, bake for 25 to 30 mins or until the crust is golden color. Mine took 25 mins to cook and you have to check in between whether it is done or not. Tasty mini apple cinnamon tart is ready to serve.
- Dough should be crumbly not a smooth dough. So add water as required for crumbly dough. Cold water is a must ingredient in this recipe.
- Salt is optional in this recipe but adding it brings out the exact flavor to this recipe.
- Brushing dough with milk that gives a nice golden brown color to the crust.
- You can serve mini apple cinnamon tart with vanilla ice cream on top.