Black forest cake is a popular German dessert consists of several layers of chocolate cake, stuffed with maraschino cherries, and a light whipped cream. It is decorated with additional whipped cream, maraschino cherries, and chocolate shavings. I had prepared this cake for my daughter's 8th birthday party and it was a big hit.
Serves 8 to 10
For making cake batter:
- 1 cup – All purpose flour
- 1/2 cup – Cocoa powder
- 3 no’s – Egg
- 1 cup – Sugar
- 1/2 cup – Butter ( melted at room temperature)
- 1/2 tsp – Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp – Baking soda
- 1 tsp – Vanilla essence
- 1 pinch – Salt
For frosting / whipping cream:
- 473 ml / 1 1/2 cup – 35% whipping cream (Keep it refrigerated until use)
- 4 to 5 tbsp – Icing sugar
For cherry filling:
- 375 ml / 1 tin – Cherries soaked in syrup / Maraschino cherries
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup – Syrup from cherries
Topping / garnishing:
- 1/2 cup – Chocolate shavings
For making cake:
- Preheat Oven to 350˚F. Line bottoms of 9″ round pans with parchment paper and set it aside
- Sieve together all purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder,baking soda and salt, set it aside.
- Take a mixing bowl, add eggs and beat it well until fluffy. Gradually add sugar and continue beating until the mixture thick and fluffy.
- Followed by melted butter and vanilla essence, continue beating till fluffy. Now slowly add dry ingredients and fold it gently. Do not use beater here instead use spatula.
- Pour this mixture to the prepared baking pan and bake it for 25 to 30 minutes or until a tooth pick or skewer comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and let the cake cool for 10 to 15 min.
- Now invert the cake from baking pan and set aside to cool down. When cake is at room temp, and you are ready to assemble, slice cake layers into half with a long knife.
Getting ready with cherry filling:
- While cake is in the oven, get ready with cherry fillings. At first remove syrup from tin or bottle and keep it aside.
- Followed by removing seeds (if any) and stem from cherries. Reserve whole cherries for garnishing around 10 cherries and roughly chop the remaining cherries as shown in the picture.
Making of whipping cream / frosting:
- Take a wide bowl, add cold whipping cream and icing sugar, beat it over medium speed until stiff, fluffy and spreadable. Refrigerate until use.
Assembling cake / layering cake:
- Take a scoop of whipping cream and spread it on cake stand as shown in the picture. It helps the cake to stay in its place. This step is completely optional.
- Place the first layer of cake and brush with 1/4 cup of syrup from cherries. Cover the top with whipping cream and followed by chopped cherries.
- Now place the second layer of cake and brush with remaining 1/4 cup of syrup. Fill the cracks along the sides of cake with frosting then frost the top and sides with remaining frosting.
- Transfer 1/2 cup of frosting to a pastry bag with a large flower tip, pipe around the top of the cake and place a whole cherry over each flower. Cover sides and top of cake with chocolate shavings. Black forest cake is ready.
- Once batter is ready, do not keep the batter outside for long time. Immediately place it in the oven for baking.
- Please do not be tempted to open the oven door for at least the first 25 minutes.
- You can use simple syrup instead of cherry syrup if your making this cake for kids. Just 1/2 cup of water and 5 tbsp of sugar, bring it to boil until sugar melts and becomes slightly thick.
- You may whip the cream for another 30 seconds if it seems slightly loose after refrigeration.
- You may replace Maraschino cherries with fresh cherries.