Soya chunks or Soybean protein is a "complete protein" since it provides all of the essential amino acids for human nutrition. I made dum biryani with soya chunks, it came out with nice flavor.
- 1 cup – Basmati rice
- 1/2 cup – Soya chunks
- 1 no – Onion ( cut lengthwise thinly)
- 1 no – Tomato
- 2 tsp –Ginger& garlic paste
- 2 or 3 – Green chili(slit open)
- ¼ tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp – Red chili powder (as needed)
- 1 tbsp – Bombay biryani masala(shan brand)
- 1tbsp – Curd
- 1 tbsp –mint leaves(finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp –coriander leaves(finely chopped)
- 1 ½ to 2 cup –Water ( for dum biryani i use 1:2 ratio)
- Salt as per taste
- 1 1/2 tbsp – Oil/Butter
- 1 no – cinnamon stick
- 2 or 3 no – clove
- 1 no – Bay leaf
- 1 no – Cardamom
- 1/4 tsp – Fennel seeds
- 1 no – Onion (cut lengthwise thinly)
- 6 no-Cashew nuts
- 5 or 6 no – Raisin
- 1 tbsp –Ghee
Making of soya chunk:
- Wash and boil soya chunks in water for 5 mins.Once done soak cooked soya chunks in cold water for 2 mins and squeeze out the water, do it twice to get rid of the soya smell.
- Take a bowl, add soya chunks ,little chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt, mix well and marinate for 5 mins.
- Heat ghee in the pan, saute marinated soya chunks for 2 to 3 mins over medium flame till it gets dried. Set aside.
Making of dum biryani:
- Soak Basmati rice for 30 mins, set aside. Heat ghee in a pan and fry sliced onion, cashew nuts and raisins (for garnishing) separately until it turns brown and keep aside.
- Now heat oil in a pan, Season with items given for seasoning. Add ginger garlic, green chili and chopped onion along with little salt and sauté till onion turn golden brown.
- Add tomato and saute till it is completely cooked. Now add all the masala like turmeric powder, chili powder and biryani masala, saute till raw smell goes.
- Add chopped mint leaves and coriander leaves and saute for a while. Then add 1 tbsp curd fry for some time.
- Now add 2 cups of water and required salt bring it to boil. Then add rice and cover it with a lid, cook until ¾ done. Remove the vessel from the stove and place a wide pan with water. Allow to heat.
- Reduce to low flame and place back the biryani vessel on the wide pan and cook biryani for 20-25 mins. Turn off heat and now add sauteed soya chunks. Do not remove lid for 10 mins.
- Finally garnish with fried onions, cashew nuts and raisins. Serve hot with raita and curry of your choice.
- You can also pressure cook this biryani instead of putting in dum.
- I used mini soya chunks in this recipe.
- If you prefer you can also add vegetables like carrot, beans, peas in this biryani along with soya chunk.