Thakkali (Tomato) chutney is one of my favorite chutney of all.This is my mom’s way of making thakkali chutney. Goes well with idly and dosai.
- 2 nos – Tomato (bigger size, chopped roughly)
- 1 no – Onion (medium size)
- 2 or 3 nos – Dry red chilies (as needed)
- 1/4 inch – Ginger
- 2 clove – Garlic
- 1 pinch – Tamarind
- 2 or 3 tbsp – Coconut grated
- 1 tbsp – Sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- 4 or 5 nos – Curry leaves
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan, add dry red chili, onion, tomato, ginger and garlic fry for few minutes or until it is 3/4 done. No need to cook it completely. Allow them to cool.
- Grind this mixture along with tamarind, coconut and required salt to a smooth paste.
- Finally season it with sesame oil, mustard seeds, split black gram, asafoetida and curry leaves. Serve hot with idly and dosai.