Wish you all very happy and prosperous new year 2015. Kesari is one of popular sweets in every household of Tamilnadu. I prepared this sweet for new year and thought of posting it as a first post of the year. I had already posted rava kesari, semiya kesari , aval kesari and pineapple kesari. Now comes apple kesari, try and enjoy it.
Serves 4 to 5 people
- 1 cup – Rava / Sooji
- 1 cup – Sugar
- 1 cup – Apple (chop into cubes)
- 3 cups – Water
- 1 no – cardamom crushed
- 10 nos – Cashew nuts
- 6 or 7 – Raisin
- 1 or 2 pinch – Orange/yellow food color
- 1/4 cup – Ghee
- Heat 2 tbsp of ghee in a pan and fry the cashew nuts and raisin till golden brown in color and keep it aside.
- In the same pan with leftover ghee roast rava over medium flame for 3 minutes or until it turns slightly golden brown. Make sure it doesn’t get burnt. When done, switch off and remove from the stove.
- Add 3 cups of water to the same pan and bring it to boil. Now slowly add roasted rava little by little to the boiling water and keep stirring continuously in order to avoid lumps. Followed by chopped apple and let them cook for few minutes or until rava cooks and water is completely absorbed.
- At this stage, add cardamom, yellow food color and sugar, mix well. Now add remaining ghee and keep stirring until you get the desired consistency.
- Switch off the stove and garnish with fried cashews and raisin. Now apple kesari is ready to serve.
- In this recipe, i had chopped apple into cubes to get nice bite while eating. If you prefer you can grate apple and follow the same process.
- To make nice slices, you can grease a plate with ghee and spread the kesari in it. After it cools down, cut into square or diamond shape with a knife. It looks beautiful and also helps to serve our guests neatly and easily.
- While preparing regular rava kesari I used to add little milk along with other ingredients. But in this recipe i did not add any milk to it.