Green peas are one of the most nutritious leguminous vegetables, rich in health benefiting minerals, vitamins and anti-oxidants. Today’s recipe green peas pulao is a rich and simple pulao prepared with green peas and spices. It goes well with paneer jalfrezi and onion raita.
- 1 cup – Basmati rice
- 1/4 cup – Green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 no – Onion (sliced lengthwise)
- 1 tsp – Ginger garlic paste
- 2 nos – Green chillies (as needed)
- 2 tsp – Yogurt / curd
- 2 tbsp – Coriander leaves (chopped)
- 2 tbsp – Mint leaves (chopped)
- 10 nos – Cashew nuts
- Salt as needed
- 2 cups - Water
- 4 tbsp – Oil and ghee (each 2 tbsp)
- 2 nos – Clove
- 1 pieces – Cinnamon
- 1 no – Star anise
- 1 no – Bay leaf
- 1 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp – Fennel seeds
- 1 no – Cardamom
- Wash and soak rice for 30 mins and set aside.
- Heat a tbsp of ghee, roast cashew nuts until they are golden brown in color, set it aside.
- In the same pan add rest of oil and ghee, season with items given in the list for seasoning. Add onion, green chillies, ginger garlic paste and along with required salt saute until golden brown.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves, saute for few seconds. Then add green peas and cook for few minutes.
- Now add 2 tsp of curd and saute for few seconds. Add 2 cups of water along with required salt, bring it to boil. Add washed rice and mix well. Cover with lid and reduce the flame to medium, cook until rice is tender or well cooked. Green peas pulao is ready and serve with raita.
- You can also pressure cook for up to 2 or 3 whistles or until well cooked. Only concern is the texture of rice, most of us want rice to be firm not massy. That’s why I follow the above step 5 in my process.