Masala sundal - Navaratri special recipe. Masala sundal was introduced by one of my friend. Normally I used to make plain sundal without any masala. I loved this sundal very much when I tasted this at my friend’s place. Masala gives nice aroma to the sundal and I hope you too love this.
- 1/2 cup – Chick pea / Kondakadalai / channa
- 1 no – Onion (chopped finely)
- 1 pinch – Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp – Arachuvitta sambar powder
- 3 tbsp – Coconut grated
- Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram / Ulunthu
- 1/4 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 2 or 3 nos – Dry red chillies
- 2 pinches – Asafoetida
- 4 or 5 nos – Curry leaves
- Soak chick peas overnight and pressure cook for up to 4 or 5 whistles or until soft.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given for seasoning. Add chopped onion along with required salt, saute until slightly golden brown.
- Add cooked chick peas, turmeric powder, arachuvitta sambar powder and saute until raw smell goes. If needed sprinkle little water and cook for 2 to 3 mins.
- Finally add grated coconut and mix everything well together, switch off the stove now. If required add salt at this time. Now simple and tasty masala sundal is ready to serve.
- You can use same method for cooking mocha kottai and it will taste as good as chick peas masala sundal.