Thandu keerai kootu / Cholai ka saag prepared with fresh thandu keerai / amaranth leaves and moong dal which goes well with hot rice, appalam and pickle.
Serves 3 to 4 people
- 1 bunch or 2 cups - Thandu keerai /Amaranth leaves
- 1/2 cup - Split green gram / moong dal / paasi paruppu
- 2 nos - Garlic
- 1/4 tsp - Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 4 tbsp - Coconut grated
- 1/2 tsp - Cumin seeds
- 2 nos - Green chillies (or add as needed)
- 1 tbsp - Oil
- 1/4 tsp - Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp - Split black gram / ulunthu
- 2 or 3 nos - Dry red chillies
- 4 or 5 nos - Curry leaves
- 2 pinches - Asafoetida
- Wash and chop thandu keerai along with stem / thandu and keep it aside.
- Grind items given in the list for grinding to a fine paste, set it aside.
- Take a vessel, add split green gram / moong dal, garlic, turmeric powder and cook until it is 3/4 done.
- Add chopped keerai and once again cook for 10 mins or until well cooked.
- Now add ground coconut paste and bring it to boil, cook until you reach desired consistency. Finally season with items given in the list for seasoning and serve with hot rice, appalam.
- Add green chillies as per your spice level.
- You can replace moong dal with toor dal also.