Bhel puri is a popular Mumbai street food which is a crispy, sweet, tangy, spicy and yummy snack prepared with puffed rice, potato, chickpeas, onion, tomato and other spices. Bhel puri has to be served immediately as soon as it is prepared, otherwise it will become soggy and tasteless.
Serves 3 to 4
- 3 to 4 cups – Puffed rice / pori
- 1 medium – Potato ( boiled and cubed)
- 1/2 no – Onion (chopped finely)
- 1/2 no – Tomato (chopped finely)
- 1 cup – White chickpeas / channa / kondakadalai (cooked)
- 1/4 cup – Grated carrot (optional)
- 6 to 7 nos – Papdis (broken into pieces)
- 1/2 tsp – Green chillies (chopped finely)(optional)
- 2 tbsp – Green chutney ( or add as needed)
- 2 to 3 tbsp – Tamarind dates chutney ( or add as needed)
- 1/2 tsp – Chaat masala powder
- 1/4 tsp – Roasted cumin powder
- 1/4 cup – Nylon sev
- 3 tbsp – Coriander leaves (chopped)
- Salt to taste
- At first dry roast the puffed rice / pori in a pan till they become crispy. Remove from stove and allow them to cool completely.
- Transfer roasted puffed rice / pori to a wide bowl, add boiled chickpeas, potato, grated carrot, chopped onion, tomato, green chillies and papdis, give a quick mix.
- Followed by green chutney, tamarind date chutney, chaat masala powder and roasted cumin powder and required salt, once again give a quick mix.
- Finally garnish bhel puri with nylon sev and freshly chopped coriander leaves. Serve bhel puri immediately.
- Green chillies are completely optional. You may avoid it if you are making it for kids.
- Green chutney, tamarind chutney, salt and spice powders in this recipe may be adjusted as per your taste.
- You may use roasted peanuts in this recipe to give nice crunch.
- Grated carrot is also completely optional.
- You may replace white chickpeas with black chana or black chickpeas.