Maa inji / Mango ginger is a plant of the ginger family and is closely related to turmeric. They are very similar to ginger but have a raw mango taste. They are used in making pickles in south India. Due to its exotic flavor and medicinal property, they are also used in the preparation of special foods, beverages, pharmaceutical and cosmetic industries. Since it has lot of health benefits, i thought of making different recipe apart from pickle. So i tried mango ginger rice for very first time and it came out very well.
- 1 cup – Rice (I used boiled rice)
- 2 tbsp – Mango ginger (grated)
- 1 no – Onion (chopped lengthwise)
- 2 or 3 nos – Green chili (slit open)
- 1 tbsp – Roasted peanut
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp – Lemon juice
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram (ulunthu)
- 4 or 5 nos – Curry leaves
- Wash and cook the rice. Spread cooked rice on a wide bowl and let it cool completely.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given for seasoning. Add onion and green chilies saute for few minutes. Along with this saute grated mango ginger, turmeric powder, peanuts and required salt for 3 or 4 mins.
- Add cooked rice and coriander leaves; mix well. Sprinkle little water and cover with lid; let it cook for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Finally squeeze some lemon juice to this and mix well. Switch off the stove and serve hot with potato fry or chips.
- While buying mango ginger it is better to break it and check if it gives aroma of fresh raw mango. Since mango ginger and turmeric root will looks similar.