Today's recipe is on how to cook samai / little millet. Millets are having great nutritional values. Our generation forgotten this healthy food over the years and it is difficult to find them in these days even in rural areas. I used to have this samai rice during my childhood days very often but over the time it become a rare food. During my recent visit I got little quantity from my mom to give it a try. Cooking samai in a perfect consistency is bit challenging task so thought of posting this recipe before trying other recipes with samai.
- 1 cup - Samai / little millet
- Water as needed
- Salt as needed
- Wash samai / little millets thoroughly in water for 3 to 4 times to remove dirt and skin if any.
- Take a vessel full of water and bring it to boil. When water starts boiling, reduce the flame to low and add washed samai / little millet along with required salt, cook for around 8 to10 minutes or until 3/4 done. Switch off the stove.
- Close with lid and drain water completely(as shown in picture). Allow them to sit for 15 mins with lid, so samai will get cooked fully in that resting time. Samai arisi sadham is ready and serve with paruppu / dal, rasam and vadagam.
- Little millet takes very less time to cook. So be attentive while cooking.
- Though little millet / samai has lots of nutritional values but it also induce body heat. So take it in less frequency especially during summer.
- You can also pressure cook little millet in the same way as you cook pressure cook rice, for 1 cup of little millet /samai, add 2 cup of water.