Green peas sundal is a healthy dish which is prepared at the time of navarathri. It is also good evening snack for school going kids.
- 1/2 cup – Dried green peas / Pacha pattani
- 1 no – Onion (chopped)
- 2 tbsp – Coconut grated
- Salt as needed
- 1 tsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram
- 1/4 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 2 or 3 nos – Dry red chillies
- 5 to 6 nos – Fresh curry leaves
- 2 pinches – Asafoetida
- Wash and soak dried green peas in enough water for 5 to 6 hours or overnight.
- Take a big vessel, add soaked dried green peas and cook until they are soft and firm or well cooked.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given in the list for seasonings. Then add chopped onion along with little salt, saute until translucent.
- Then add cooked green peas and saute for few seconds until moisture in the green peas leaves.
- Finally garnish them with grated coconut and switch off the stove. Serve with hot tea.
- Green peas should not be over cooked or under cooked. It has to be soft but still firm.
- You can also pressure cook dried green peas but you have to be very careful because green peas will easily get mashed.