Sweet poli is a popular sweet items prepared all over India. I have already posted sweet poli with kadalai paruppu/ Bengal gram stuffing. Now i prepared poli with beetroot as a stuffing. Here comes the recipe.
Ingredients: Yields 8 medium sized poli
For outer layer:
- 1 cup (heaped) – Maida
- 2 pinches – Turmeric powder
- 2 1/2 tbsp – Sesame oil (for kneading)
- Water enough for kneading
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp - Ghee
- 3 nos – Beetroot ( medium sized) (peeled and grated)
- 4 to 5 tbsp – Sugar ( or add as needed)
- 2 pinches – Cardamom powder
- 1 pinch – Salt
- Take a mixing bowl, add maida, turmeric powder, salt and mix well. Add water slowly while mixing and kneading to make very soft dough. Add sesame oil on top of the dough and knead it again. Cover and set it aside for 4 to 5 hour.
- Heat ghee in a pan, add grated beetroot along with pinch of salt, saute until beetroot is well cooked. Keep stove in low flame while cooking beetroot.
- Add sugar and cardamom powder, mix well till sugar melts. Cook until sugar is completely absorbed. Allow them to cool completely and make small lemon sized ball out of it. Stuffing is ready now.
- Make small lemon sized balls with the dough. Roll the dough a little and place the stuffing in the center, join the edge. Take a plastic sheet or a plate, apply little oil or ghee and place the dough on it. Using palm slowly spread them out like chappathi.
- Heat ghee in a tawa and cook the rolled poli by adding ghee all around. Flip over and cook on other side until light brown spots appear. Beetroot poli is ready.
- The dough should be soft, but not sticky to touch.
- You can also roll dough using rolling pin instead of using your palm.
- If you find it difficult in rolling, you can use little wheat flour or rice flour as optional for dusting.