Sakkarai pongal is an authentic sweet prepared at the time of “Thai pongal” (Thai thirunaal). Here in this recipe, i used oats to prepare this sweet pongal. It tasted as good as our regular sakkarai pongal.
- 1 cup – Instant oats
- 1/4 cup (heaped) – Jaggery (powdered)
- 1 no – Cardamom (crushed)
- 10 nos – Cashew nuts
- 10 nos – Raisin
- 3 tbsp – Ghee
- Heat a pan, add jaggery and a cup of water, bring it to boil until jaggery dissolves completely. Filter the impurities and set it aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan, fry cashew nuts and raisins to a golden brown color, set aside. In the same pan, roast oats until raw smell goes and set it aside.
- Now add filtered jaggery syrup and bring it to boil. Then add roasted oats along with crushed cardamom, allow them to cook for 5 mins over medium flame.
- Add 2 tbsp of ghee and mix well together, cook until oats is well cooked. Finally add fried cashew nuts and raisin along with ghee, mix well. Serve hot with ghee on top.
- You can also use steel cut oats or any other oats variety, but cooking time and quantity of water differ.
- You can increase or decrease the quantity of jaggery as per your sweet level.