Masala kathirikkai is prepared by adding flavorful masala to the brinjal. I learned this recipe from my friend and I loved it so much. I have tried it few times and it came out very tasty every time. Now it became one of our favorite items. It goes well with white rice and sambar, also a good combo for curd rice.
- 10 to15 nos – Kathirikkai / Brinjal / Egg plant (chopped lengthwise thinly)
- 2 nos – Onion (chopped lengthwise thinly)
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tsp – Red chilli powder (as needed)
- 1 tbsp – Arachuvitta sambar powder
- Salt as needed
- 1 1/2 tbsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram / Ulunthu
- 4 or 5 nos – Curry leaves
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given for seasoning. Add onion saute until slightly golden brown.
- Now add chopped brinjal and saute for 2 mins. Then add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and required salt, saute until raw smell goes.
- Sprinkle little water and cover with lid, cook for 5 to 10 mins or until brinjal is 3/4 done.
- Finally add arachuvitta sambar powder and continue cooking for another 5 mins. Sprinkle few fresh curry leaves on top and switch off the stove. Masala kathirikkai is ready and serve hot with white rice and sambar or any paruppu kootu.