Paneer pav bhaji is a slight variation to the regular pav bhaji where you need to add grated or cubed paneer in the bhaji. Pav bhaji is a Maharashtrian fast food dish that originated from Mumbai. Bhaji the spicy blend of vegetables and paneer is a good combo for toasted pav bun. Pav bhaji can be served as a meal during lunch or dinner. You may also have it as an evening snack.
Serves 4 to 5
- 3/4 to 1 cup – Paneer ( grated or small cubes)
- 1 no – Onion (chopped finely)
- 1 no – Tomato (chopped finely)
- 1 tsp – Ginger garlic paste
- 1 no – Green chilli (chopped finely)
- 2 nos – Potato (chopped finely)
- 1/2 cup – Carrot (chopped finely)
- 1/2 cup – Beans (chopped finely)
- 1/4 cup – Green peas
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp – Red chilli powder (as needed)
- 2 tsp – Pav bhaji masala (I used MTR brand)
- 1 tsp – Lemon juice (as needed)
- Salt as needed
- Onion and coriander leaves for garnishing (chopped finely)
- 2 tbsp – Butter
- 1/2 tsp – Cumin seeds
- Pressure cook chopped potato, carrot, beans and required water, cook for 2 whistles or until well cooked. Allow them to cool and then mash it well, set aside.
- Heat butter in a pan and season with cumin seeds. When they sizzle, add onion, green chilli and ginger garlic paste, saute until translucent. Then add tomato saute until mushy.
- Add green peas along with turmeric powder, pav bhaji masala, red chilli powder and required salt, saute until raw smell goes. Then add mashed vegetables and enough water, cover with lid and cook until everything is well cooked approximately 7 to 8 minutes.
- Towards the end add the grated or cubed paneer and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. When you reach desire consistency, switch off the stove. Garnish with butter and chopped coriander leaves, squeeze some lemon juice on top. Toast the pav bun with little butter then spread enough bhaji in the middle and sprinkle chopped onion, enjoy it.
- You may grate or cut paneer into small cubes.
- Adjust spice level as per your taste.
- You may add any vegetables of your choice like capsicum, cauliflower etc.
- You can also prepare the bhaji ahead of time and then reheat it when serving. Serve it with freshly toasted pav buns and chopped onions on top of bhaji.