- 2 nos - Drum stick (10 to 12 pieces)
- 1 handful – Split green gram (paasi paruppu/urad dhal)
- 1 no – Onion (chopped finely)
- 1 no – Tomato (chopped finely)
- 1 or 2 nos -Green chilies (slit open)
- 1/4 tsp -Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp - Pepper powder
- Salt as needed
- 4 cups – water
- 2 tbsp -Coriander leaves ( for garnishing)
- 1 small – Cinnamon
- 2 nos – Clove
- 1 no – Cardamom
- 1 small - Bay leaf
- 4 nos - Curry leaves
- 1 tsp -Fennel seed
- 1/4 tsp - pepper corns
- 1 tsp -Cumin seed
- Pressure cook split green gram (paasi paruppu) for up to 3 whistles. Keep it aside.
- Cook drumstick pieces in 4 cups of water in a vessel. Once drumstick pieces are cooked well; take out the pieces and keep the water aside for later use (water has lot of flavors of the drumstick).
- Allow drumstick pieces to cool down; with the help of a spoon take out the pulp and discard the skin. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan; season the soup with items given for seasoning. Now add onion, tomato and green chili sauté for few minutes. Then add drumstick pulp along with required salt and cook for few seconds.
- Add water which was used to boil drumstick along with cooked split green gram to sautéed mix. Let the soup boil for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Sprinkle pepper powder before you switch off the stove .Garnish with coriander leaves.