Kozhukattai is a sweet dish traditionally prepared during Vinayakar Chaturthi festival. I have already posted Kozhukattai with coconut pottukadalai poornam, but this time i prepared kozhukattai with kadalai paruppu poornam in modakam shape. You can also find other kozhukattai recipes here like paal kozhukattai, pidi kozhukattai, mini kozhukattai, ragi kozhukattai etc.
For outer layer:
- 1 cup - Idly rice
- 1 tbsp - Sesame oil
- Salt as needed
- Water- as needed
For kadalai paruppu poornam:
- 1/2 cup – Bengal gram / Kadalai paruppu
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup – Jaggery (powdered)
- 1 or 2 nos – Cardamom
- 1 tsp – Ghee
Making of kadalai paruppu poornam:
- Heat a pan, dry roast bengal gram / kadalai paruppu until they are slightly golden brown in color.
- Soak the roasted bengal gram in enough water for 1/2 hour. Then cook them in a vessel with enough water until they are well cooked. Drain the water completely.
- Allow bengal gram to cool and then grind them in a mixer grinder to a coarse powder. Then add jaggery and cardamom seeds, once again grind them until jaggery is mixed properly.
- Add ghee and mix well. Make small balls out of the poornam and set it aside. Now kadalai paruppu poornam is ready.
Making of outer layer and dumplings:
- Soak idly rice for 5-6 hours and using wet grinder/mixer grinder grind the rice with enough water to a very fine consistency (like dosa batter). Then add required salt to it and mix well, set it aside.
- Take a hard bottom pan, keep the flame in medium always and add 1 tbsp of sesame oil to it. Then add freshly ground rice flour and keep stirring continuously never move from that place. Continue doing this until you get thick ball.
- Switch off the stove. Divide the batter into three portions and knead it into a smooth ball. Make it into a single ball and cover it with a wet tissue or cloth. Now outer layer is also ready.
- Apply oil on your left hand, take a small amount of rice flour dough make a ball then press the flour with the other hand as thin as possible like a small cup.
- Now take kadalai paruppu poornam ball and keep it in middle of the cup, then bring it together to form shape like modakam or modak (as shown in the picture). Continue the same procedure with rest of the dough and poornam.
- Place the kozhukattai in the idly plate or any steamer for 10 minutes and steam until cooked. yummy kadalai paruppu poorna kozhukattai is ready.
- You can also pressure cook bengal gram / kadalai paruppu for 2 to 3 whistles or until well cooked.
- If you feel the poornam is bit watery, do not worry about it. Add ghee in a pan and saute for 5 minutes in a low flame. Your poornam will come to the right consistency.
- You can also add grated coconut in kadalai paruppu poornam, while adding jaggery.
- Always prepare the poornam first, then make the outer dough so that the outer dough does not get dried up.
- I made rice flour from the scratch. Even I tried with store bought rice flour but making our own rice flour is really tasty and this is the authentic way of making kozhukkattai.