Mini kozhukattai is one of my favorite munch prepared by my mom as an evening snack. I love the aroma of the seasoning to the kozhukattai. Here comes the recipe for simple and tasty mini kozhukattai.
- 1 cup – Idly rice
- 2 tbsp – Coconut grated (to grind)
- 1 tbsp – Sesame oil
- Salt as needed
- Water as needed
- 2 tsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram / Ulunthu
- 3 nos – Dry red chillies
- 4 or 5 nos – Curry leaves
- 3 tbsp – Coconut grated
- 2 tsp – Sugar (optional)
- Wash and soak idly rice for 4 to 5 hrs and then transfer soaked idly rice, grated coconut along with required salt to a mixer grinder, grind it until smooth.
- Heat sesame oil in a pan, add rice flour keep stirring over medium flame, never move from that place. Continue doing this until you get thick ball and then switch off the stove.
- When dough is still warm, knead it into a smooth ball. If needed add few drops of sesame oil to knead, now make small balls out of this dough. Ball size should be like seedai urundai.
- Place mini kozhukattai in the idly platter or any steamer for 9 to 10 minutes and steam until cooked. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given in the list for seasoning except sugar and now add cooked kozhukattai balls along with sugar, mix well. Sweet mini kozhukattai is ready.
- Always keep the flame in low or medium while making rice flour mixture. It takes 10-15 mins but it is worthy doing it.
- Make kozhukattai when its still warm. Do not let it open for a long time which will cause the mixture to get dry and ending up in hard kozhukattai. Try to cover with wet clothe until you prepare.
- Adding coconut while grinding rice helps the kozhukattai to stay soft for long time and also gives a new flavor.
- Adding sugar is completely optional. In my family we all love to have it with sugar.