Kovakkai / tindora curry is prepared with kovakkai / tindora in a tamarind based gravy which goes well with white rice and chappathi too.
- 1/2 cup – Kovakkai / tindora (cut it lengthwise)
- 1 no – Onion (chopped)
- 1 no – Tomato (chopped)
- 2 nos – Garlic
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1/2 or 1 tsp – Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp – Coriander powder
- 1 no – Tamarind (blueberry sized)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp – Sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram / ulunthu
- 1 pinch – Fenugreek seeds
- 4 or 5 nos – Curry leaves
- Soak tamarind in a 1/4 cup of water. Set it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add onion, tomato, garlic and enough salt, saute until translucent. Then add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and coriander powder, saute until raw smell goes. Let it cool.
- In the same pan, season with items given in the list for seasoning. Add chopped kovakkai / tindora along with little salt, saute until they are 1/2 done.
- Then add ground masala paste and 1/4 cup water, bring it to boil. Once the kovakkai / tindora is completely cooked, add tamarind juice and cook until raw smell of tamarind goes or until it reaches gravy consistency. Kovakkai curry is ready to serve.
- You can increase or decrease red chilli powder as per your spice level.