Omelette kuzhambu is prepared with egg omelette in a tangy onion tomato gravy which goes well with white rice and appalam. Simple ingredients and it also takes very less time to prepare. Here comes the recipe.
For making omelette:
- 3 nos – Egg
- 1 no – Onion (chopped finely)
- 1/8 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp – Fresh curry leaves (chopped)
- 1 tbsp – Fresh coriander leaves (chopped)
- Salt and pepper powder as needed
For making kuzhambu:
- 10 nos – Small onion or sambar onion (chopped finely)
- 1 no – Tomatoes (chopped finely)
- 2 nos – Garlic (chopped)
- 1 or 2 nos – Green chillies
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp – Red chilli powder
- 2 tsp – Coriander powder
- 1 no – Tamarind ball (blueberry sized)
- Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp – Sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram / Ulunthu
- 1/8tsp – Fenugreek seeds
- 5 nos – Fresh curry leaves
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
Making of omelette:
- Take a mixing bowl, add eggs and beat it nicely. Then add chopped onion, curry leaves, coriander leaves, required salt and pepper powder, mix well.
- Heat paniyaram pan. Put 2 to 3 drops of oil in each hole; fill each hole with the egg mixture and drizzle few drops of oil on the top. After 1or 2 minutes, flip over to cook the other side. Once both sides turn golden brown, switch off the stove and set them aside. Omelette is ready.
Making of omelette kuzhambu:
- Soak tamarind in a 1/2 cup of water and squeeze of the pulp. Set aside.
- Heat sesame oil in a pan, season with items given in the list for seasoning. Add chopped onion, garlic and green chillies along with required salt, saute until translucent. Then add tomatoes saute till mushy.
- Add all masala powders and saute until raw smell goes. Then add 1 cup of water and bring it to boil, cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Now add tamarind water and allow them to cook until raw tamarind smell goes away. Finally add omelette and cook them for 5 more minutes. Lip smacking omelette kuzhambu is ready, serve hot with white rice.
- The gravy which you are preparing before adding omelette must be little watery. Because omelette pieces will absorb some water while boiling.
- You can prepare omelette by using tawa like our regular omelette and cut them into small pieces before adding it to the gravy.