Kalkandu pongal / kalkandu sadham with Varagu arisi / Varagu rice / Kodo millet, is a sweet pongal prepared with Varagu arisi, kalkandu / sweet candy, and milk . The addition of milk makes the dish so creamy and rich. It is very easy to prepare and tastes divine.
Serves 4 to 5
Serves 4 to 5
- 1/2 cup - Varagu arisi / Kodo millet
- 2 tbsp - Split green gram / Moong dal / Paasi paruppu
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup - Kalkandu / sugar candy / Rock sugar
- 1 cup - Milk (room temperature)
- 3 to 4 tbsp - Ghee (or add as needed)
- 1/8 tsp - Cardamom powder / Elachi
- 10 no’s - Cashew nuts
- 10 no’s - Raisin
- 1 1/2 cup – Water
- Grind sugar candy / kalkandu in a mixer grinder to a smooth powder, set it aside.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker, fry cashew nuts and raisins to a golden brown color, set aside.
- Add split green gram/moong dal in the same cooker with ghee and roast for few seconds. Then add washed Varagu rice, 1/2 cup of milk, 1 1/2 cup of water, pressure cook for 2 whistles or until well cooked.
- Once rice and dhal mixtures is cooked, mash it nicely. Add ground sugar candy / kalkandu and the remaining milk and mix well continuously over medium heat.
- Add cardamom powder along with ghee and cook for 5 minutes. Finally add fried cashew nuts and raisin, mix well. Serve hot with ghee on top.
- Adding milk in this recipe helps the pongal to stay soft for long time.
- I have used 1/2 cup of kalkandu. Sweetness was just right for us. If you wish you may increase or decrease the quantity of kalkandu as per your sweet level ( instead of 1/2 cup you may add 3/4 cup).
Technorati Tags: Kalkandu pongal,kalkandu sadham,kalkandu,varagu arisi kalkandu pongal,varagu rice kalkandu pongal,varagu rice recipes,sweet pongal,pongal recipes,kodo millet sweet pongal,kodo millet recipes,millet recipes,festival recipes,thai pongal recipes,South Indian recipes,South Indian food,Indian food,Indian recipes,Tamil recipes,Tamilnadu recipes.,sakkarai recipes,pongal festival recipes,sugar candy,rock sugar,how to make kalkandu pongal,how to make varagu arisi pongal,how to make varagu rice sweet pongal,how to prepare pongal. .