Lachcha Paratha is a kind of layered flat bread made with Whole wheat flour (Atta). This style of paratha turns out crispy and with several layers. It is the perfect accompaniment for any thick-gravy dish.
- 2 cups – Whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp – Ghee
- 1 pinch – Baking soda (optional)
- 1 pinch – Sugar (optional)
- Salt as needed
- Warm water as needed for making dough
- Take a wide bowl, add wheat flour,1 tsp of ghee, salt, baking soda, sugar and warm water together to make a soft dough like we make for chappathi. Knead dough for few minutes and finally add oil once again knead it.
- Set the dough aside and cover it with a damp cloth/plate. Let the dough rest for at least 1 hour.
- Make equal sized ball out of the dough.Take a ball and roll in to big circle like we make chappathi. Apply ghee on the top of it and sprinkle little wheat flour. Now start making fleets like shown in the picture.
- Start rolling from one corner and seal the other end underneath the dough. Roll carefully, without applying too much pressure to ensure the layers are still there.
- Heat tawa, place parathas and drizzle little oil and cook both sides in medium flame until golden brown. Use the spatula and gently press while cooking to ensure even cooking.
- Use your hands to beat the edges like we do for parotta to separate the layers.Now lachha paratha is ready. Serve hot with any thick gravies.
- You can always substitute ghee with oil. But if you want to taste real Lachcha paratha go for Ghee.
- Baking soda and sugar is an optional ingredient.