Ponnanganni keerai (English name: Dwarf copperleaf) has a crispy texture and perfect for poriyal. It also improves eye sight, complexion and reduces body heat. It is good for piles/hemorrhoids complaints too. Regular intake of this green thrice a week increases production of breast milk in lactating mothers.
- 1 bunch - Ponnanganni Keerai
- 2 tbsp – Split green gram (paasi paruppu)
- 1 no – Onion ( medium, chopped finely)
- 1 clove – Garlic (chopped finely)
- 1 pinch - Turmeric Powder
- Salt as per taste
- 1 or 2 tbsp - Coconut Grated for garnishing
- 12 tsp - Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram (ulunthu)
- 2 or 3 nos – Dry red Chillies
- 1 pinch - Asafoetida
- Remove the leaves from the stem and wash it well. Set aside.
- Cook split green gram with a pinch of turmeric till it is soft (3/4th cooking) and firm.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given for seasoning. Add onion and garlic along with required salt and saute until golden brown.
- Now add ponnanganni keerai and mix well. Cover with lid and cook on low flame for 3 to 4 mins or until well cooked. Sprinkle little water if needed.
- Then add cooked split green gram and mix everything well. Cook on low flame for few more seconds. Switch off the stove and garnish with grated coconut.