Lime pickles are very popular condiments prepared with lime or lemon. When it is home made, the taste and aroma of pickle will be fantastic. I love spicy pickle dishes, especially lime pickle, mango pickle, garlic pickle, tomato pickle etc. I have already posted few pickle recipes like mango pickle, maa inji oorukai or mango ginger pickle, puli milagai etc.
Yields: 1 cup of pickle or 1 small bottle
- 3 nos - Lime
- 1/4 tsp - Turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp - Red chilli powder (optional)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup - Sesame oil
- 2 tsp - Salt (or add as needed)
- 1/4 tsp - Mustard seeds
- 3 to 5 nos - Dry red chillies
- 1/4 tsp - Fenugreek seeds / methi seeds
- 3 pinches - Asafoetida
- Wash the lime, pat dry them nicely using a kitchen towel or tissue paper.
- Cut the lime into 8 wedges or squares (as shown in picture) and transfer to a clean, wide bowl with lid or bottles. If you find any seeds, then remove it using the knife edge otherwise the pickle tastes bitter.
- Add salt and turmeric powder on top, mix well and set aside for 4 to 5 days till the skin becomes bit tender with change in color.
- Now dry roast red chillies, fenugreek seeds and asafoetida, grind it to coarse powder. Add ground powder to the lime and mix well. Then followed by red chilli powder, once again mix it well. Always use dry spoon to mix the pickle.
- Now heat oil in a kadai and temper with mustard seeds, let it to splutter. Switch off the stove and Let the oil reach to medium heat, then transfer this oil to the bowl or bottle with lime and mix well with spoon. If the oil is too hot, red chilly powder will get burnt and pickle will taste bitter.
- Keep this pickle for few weeks, by mixing it at least 2 times a day. After few weeks you can find that the lime becomes soft and ready to use.
- Store this pickle in a clean and sterilized bottle for future use. Serve with curd rice, dal or any thing of your choice.
- Shelf life of pickle is based on how you handle it properly. Always use spoon or fork to get the pickle out of the jar or bottle. Do not touch the pickle with any moisture in your hand. It will stay fresh for more than a month when kept at room temperature.
- Whenever you are taking the pickle for serving, just mix it from top to bottom and then take the required quantity to avoid excess oil come into the spoon.
- You can also replace lime with lemon. Make sure you remove seeds from lemon before making pickle.
- Do not over roast dry red chillies and fenugreek seeds otherwise the pickle will taste bitter.
- Red chilli powder is completely optional. You can use dry red chillies alone for making this pickle.