Sambar is one of the popular side dish prepared in South India. We have two variety of sambar, one we prepare for rice and one for tiffin like idly, dosai. Tiffin sambar is prepared with moong dal / paasi paruppu where as our regular one is prepared with toor dal / thuvaram paruppu. Consistency is also different, tiffin sambar will be slightly watery when compare to our regular sambar. Tiffin sambar goes well with hot idly, dosai, paniyaram and venpongal etc.
Serves : 4 to 5 people
- 1/2 cup – Split green gram / moong dal / paasi paruppu
- 1 no – Onion (chopped roughly)
- 1 no – Tomato (chopped)
- 1 no – Garlic (optional)
- 2 nos – Green chillies
- 1 cup – Mixed vegetables ( i used carrot, beans)
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp – Red chilli powder ( or add as needed)
- 1 tsp – Coriander powder
- 1 small piece – Jaggery
- 1 no – Tamarind (gooseberry sized)
- 1 tbsp – Coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram / ulunthu
- 1/8 tsp – Fenugreek seeds
- 2 nos – Dry red chillies
- 4 or 5 nos – Curry leaves
- 2 pinches – Asafoetida
- Soak tamarind in warm water and squeeze out the pulp, set it aside.
- Take a pressure cooker, add washed moong dal, chopped onion and tomato, garlic, little turmeric power, a tsp of sesame oil and enough water, cook them for 3 to 4 whistles or until well cooked.
- Open the pressure cooker, add chopped vegetables, green chillies, enough water (1 1/2 to 2 cup), turmeric powder, red chilli power, coriander powder and required salt, bring it to boil. Cover with lid and cook till vegetables are well cooked.
- Now time to add tamarind water and jaggery, once again cook until raw smell of tamarind goes away and till you reach desired consistency. Switch off the stove and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Heat a pan with oil, season with items given in the list of seasonings. Pour this seasoning over sambar, mix well and serve with hot idly, dosai, venpongal etc.
- You can replace big onion with sambar onion also. I used roughly chopped big onion in this recipe.
- Consistency of tiffin sambar should be little watery than our regular sambar.
- Do not avoid jaggery since it gives nice flavour to this sambar.