Soya chunks / soya nuggets / meal maker pepper fry is a spicy stir fry prepared with soya chunks and other spices. Soya chunk is one of my favorite ingredients, as it has a unique taste and has a number of health benefits. You may serve this with hot rice and sambar.
Serves 4 to 5
- 2 cups – Soya chunk cooked (how to cook soya chunk)
- 1 no – Onion (sliced lengthwise)
- 1/2 no – Tomato (chopped)
- 1 tsp – Ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric power
- 1/2 tsp – Red chilli powder / sambar powder
- 1 tsp – Pepper powder
- 1 tsp – Coriander powder / dhania powder
- 1/4 tsp – Garam masala powder
- 10 nos – Fresh curry leaves
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp – Sesame oil / gingelly oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds / kaduku
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram / ulunthu
- 1/4 tsp – Cumin seeds / jeera
- 1/4 tsp – Fennel seeds / sombu
- 2 pinches – Asafoetida / hing
- Chop cooked soya chunks into bite size piece (refer picture) and set it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given in the list for seasonings. Add chopped onion, ginger garlic paste and required salt, saute until translucent.
- Next add chopped tomato and saute until mushy. Followed by turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder, saute until raw smell goes.
- Add chopped soya chunk, mix well and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Then add pepper powder and fresh curry leaves, mix well and cook until soya chunk absorbs all the masala.
- Finally garnish with coriander leaves and check for salt, if needed add more. Switch off the stove and serve hot with rice and any curry of your choice.
- You may chop soya chunks into bite size or slightly minced or use as it is.
- You may increase or decrease the amount of pepper powder as per your spice level.
- Refer link for how to cook soya chunk / soya nuggets/ meal maker.