Kadhamba sadham is prepared with red gram / thuvaram paruppu and country vegetables like brinjal, drumstick, raw banana, avaraikai, pumpkin etc. I used brown rice instead of regular white rice, it was tasting really good compared to white rice. Best healthy lunch box item for both adults and kids.
- 1 cup – Brown rice ( i used uncle bean brand)
- 1/4 cup – Red gram / Toor dhal / Thuvaram paruppu
- 1 cup – Mixed vegetables ( pumpkin, potato, avaraikai, raw banana, carrot, beans)
- 1 no – Onion (chopped)
- 1 no – Tomato (chopped finely)
- 2 or 3 nos – Garlic (chopped)
- 3 or 4 nos – Green chillies (slit open)
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1/4 cup – Tamarind water (Soak 1 gooseberry sized tamarind in 1/4 cup water, squeeze out the pulp)
- 3 cups – Water
- 2 tbsp – Coriander leaves chopped
- 1 tbsp – Ghee
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp – Coconut grated
- 1 1/4 tbsp – Arachuvitta sambar powder
- 1 tbsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram / Ulunthu
- 2 pinches – Asafoetida / Perungayam
- Few fresh curry leaves
- Wash and soak brown rice, red gram in enough water for 1 to 2 hour. Set it aside.
- Grind items given in the list for grinding and set it aside.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker, season with items given for seasoning. Add garlic and green chillies, saute for few seconds. Then add onion and saute until slightly golden brown.
- Add tomato, saute until mushy. Add all vegetables one by one and saute for 2 mins.Then add turmeric powder, ground coconut paste along with required salt and saute until raw smell goes.
- Now add rice and red gram, saute for few seconds. Then add required water, tamarind water, coriander leaves and salt. Close with lid and pressure cook for up to 3 or 4 whistles or until well cooked. Kadhamba sadham is ready, serve with ghee on top along with raita, pickle and appalam.
- I used uncle bean brand brown rice and the ratio for this brand rice is 1 : 2 (rice and water). You can increase or decrease the quantity of water as per the brown rice you are using.
- You can freshly prepare arachuvitta sambar powder by roasting and grinding,
- 2 nos – Dry red chillies (as per taste)
- 1 tbsp – Coriander seeds (malli/dhania)
- 1 tsp – Split black gram (ulunthu/urad dhal)
- 1/2 tsp – Bengal gram (kadalai paruppu/channa dal)
- You have to soak rice and red gram for 2 hours to cook rice and dhal evenly.