- ¼ cup - Bengal gram(kadalai paruppu)
- 2 tbsp - Split red gram (thuvaram paruppu)
- 2 nos - Dry red chili
- ¼ tsp - Fennel seeds (perunjeeragam)
- ¼ tsp - Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp - Fresh grated coconut
- 4 nos - Shallots (small onions finely chopped)
- 2 nos - Garlic (minced)
- 1/4tsp - Turmeric
- 6 nos - Curry leaves (finely chopped)
- 2 stks - Coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 pinch - Asafoetida
- 1/4 tsp - Salt(as needed)
- 1 tbsp – Oil
- 1 no - Big Onion (finely chopped)
- 2 nos - Tomato(medium size)
- 1 no - Garlic (crushed)
- 1 no - Green chili
- 1 tsp - Red chili powder (as needed)
- 3 tsp - Coriander /dhania powder
- ¼ tsp - Turmeric powder
- 1/4 cup - coconut
- 1 no - Tamarind (gooseberry size)
- ¼ tsp - Salt (or to taste)
- ¼ tsp - Mustard seeds
- 1 pinch - Fenugreek seeds
- 5 nos - Curry leaves
- 3 stks - Coriander leaves
For paruppu urundai:
- Soak Bengal gram and split red gram for at least 2 hours. Drain and ground coarsely along with dry red chili, fennel seeds, grated coconut, turmeric and salt.
- Mix cumin seeds, chopped shallots, garlic, curry leaves,coriander leaves and pinch of asafoetida to the ground lentils.
- Make small lime size balls and arrange them in slightly greased idli plates and steam them for about 10 minutes and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves. Add in the chopped onions ,garlic and green chili , fry till golden color and then add chopped tomatoes, cover and cook for few minutes.
- Now add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and fry for 2 minutes or until the oil separates.
- Soak the tamarind in warm water and squeeze out the pulp.Now add that tamarind juice, salt and water (as needed for gravy).Bring it to boil and then add the steamed dumplings, cook in low flame for 3 minutes.
- Finally add the ground coconut paste, cook for a couple of minutes and garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot with plain rice, and papadams.
- There are two ways of steaming these lentil dumplings. You can either steam them or you can make the gravy little watery and add lentil dumplings directly in to the gravy and cook . This method is the authentic version and slightly tricky for beginners.I prefer steaming process instead of direct cooking.