Once I visited an Indian restaurant in Toronto and liked a chutney. Since then I was trying to find the ingredients to prepare that chutney at home. Finally I came to know the secret ingredient of it through my friend. Here comes the recipe.
- 1 no – Onion (bigger size, chopped)
- 1 no – Tomato (bigger size, chopped)
- 2 tbsp – Carrot (chopped)
- 3 or 4 nos – Dry red chillies (as needed)
- 1 tbsp – Bengal gram / Kadalai paruppu
- 1 tsp – Split black gram / Ulunthu
- Few curry leaves
- Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp – Sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- Heat oil in a pan, add bengal gram and split black gram, fry slightly golden brown. Do not burn it. Add onion along with required salt, saute for few seconds. Then add red chillies followed by curry leaves, tomato, carrot, saute everything well. Allow them to cool.
- Grind the sauteed mixture to a smooth paste. Check for salt, if required add it now. Finally season it with the items given “for seasoning”. Serve hot with idly and dosai.