I have already posted recipes for Ennai kathirikkai kuzhambu in different versions like with and without coconut. Now this time, I tried ennai kathirikkai dry with coocnut thats was really tasty and irresistable.
Serves 4 to 5
Serves 4 to 5
- 12 to 15 nos – Baby brinjals ( i used purple color)
- 10 to 15 nos – Sambar onion / small onion
- 3 nos – Garlic
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 6 to 7 nos - Fresh curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp – Oil
- 1 tbsp – Coriander seeds / dhania
- 1 tbsp – Bengal gram / kadalai paruppu
- 2 tbsp – Peanuts
- 4 to 5 nos – Dry red chillies ( or add as needed)
- 1/2 tsp – White sesame seeds
- 4 tbsp – Grated coconut
- Few curry leaves
- 2 tbsp – Sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 2 pinches – Asafoetida
- Wash brinjals, put an X mark on back side of each brinjal and check for any worms. Also do not remove the whole stem on the top of brinjal, just cut little bit as shown in the picture.
- Heat oil in a pan, roast items given in the list “for grinding” as shown in the picture and set it aside.
- In the same pan, add another tsp of oil and saute sambar onion, garlic for few seconds. Keep it aside.
- Take a mixer grinder, add roasted coconut mixture and grind it for few seconds. Then add sauteed onion garlic and required salt, grind it to a coarse paste (sprinkle little water).
- Now fill this stuffing inside the brinjals as needed and keep the remaining masala paste aside.
- Heat sesame oil in the pan, temper with items given in the list for tempering. Add stuffed brinjals and sauteed over medium flame until brinjals are 1/2 done.
- Now add remaining masala paste, turmeric powder, required salt and enough water for brinjal to cook (do not add more water), cover with lid and cook until brinjal is cooked completely.
- Open the lid and continue cooking over low flame until you reach the consistency of thokku and oil separates (see the picture). Finally sprinkle fresh curry leaves and a tsp of sesame oil, switch off the stove. Serve with hot rice and any dal.
- Sesame oil is must for this recipe, because it gives nice flavor and aroma.
- Cook brinjals over medium or low flame, continue stirring until it is well cooked both inside and outside.
- Choose baby brinjals, I used small purple brinjals.
- You may increase or decrease the number of dry red chillies as per your spice level.