Chutney prepared with tomato and carrot, which gives nice flavor to the chutney that goes well with hot idly and crispy dosai. I have already posted other versions of tomato chutneys which you can find here.
Serves 3 to 4 people
- 3 nos - Onion (small sized)
- 2 nos - Tomato (medium sized)
- 1 no - Carrot (small sized)
- 2 or 3 nos - Green chillies (or as needed)
- 3 nos - Garlic
- 1 pinch - Tamarind
- 1 tbsp - Coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp - Oil
- 1/4 tsp - Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp - Split black gram / ulunthu
- 4 or 5 nos - Curry leaves
- 2 pinches - Asafoetida
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given in the list for seasoning. Then add garlic and green chillies, saute for few seconds.
- Add onion and carrot along with little salt, saute until carrot is 1/2 done. Then add tomato, tamarind and coriander leaves, saute until they are well cooked.
- Allow them to cool completely and grind them along with required salt to a coarse paste. Tomato carrot chutney is ready, serve with hot idly or dosai.
- If you wish you can once again season this chutney with mustard seeds, ulunthu, curry leaves and asafoetida at the end.
- Do not add too much tamarind as it will make the chutney very sour. Just add a pinch of tamarind.
- Do not grind chutney to a fine paste. It should be grinded coarsely.