Aval kesari is a very simple and tasty sweet, which you can prepare for Krishna jayanthi. It takes very less time and effort to prepare this yummy sweet.
Serves 3 people
- 1 cup - Aval / poha l flattened rice( i used thin variety)
- 1/2 cup - Sugar ( or add as needed)
- 1/8 tsp - Cardamom powder
- 6 to 7 nos - Cashew nuts (broken)
- 5 or 6 nos - Raisin
- 1/2 cup - Hot water / boiling water
- 1 pinch - Orange kesari powder ( or use yellow color)
- 6 tsp - Ghee
- Heat a tsp of ghee in a pan, add cashew nuts and raisin, fry until they are slightly golden brown in color. Keep it aside.
- In the same pan, add 1 more tsp of ghee and Aval / poha, fry them for few seconds or until they are slightly brown. Immediately add 1/2 cup of boiling water to it, cook aval / poha until well cooked and water is completely absorbed.
- Add sugar, orange kesari powder, and cardamom powder to the aval mixture. Stir continuously over low flame by adding ghee in regular intervals until the ghee separates.
- Finally add fried cashew nuts and raisins to the kesari and mix well. Aval kesari is ready to serve.
- Aval kesari takes very less time to cook. Do not move around, stand near by and prepare kesari.
- Adjust sugar according to your taste buds. I used less than 1/2 cup of sugar which was perfect for us.