Black channa / Black chickpea is very high in protein and fiber;hence a healthy source of carbohydrates for persons with diabetes. Recent studies have also shown that they can assist in lowering of cholesterol in the bloodstream.We normally make sundal out of this channa but here i tried to make gravy for chappathi in chettinad style but with few changes.
- 1 cup – Black channa/chickpea
- 1 no – Onion (chopped finely)
- 1 no – Tomato (chopped or puree)
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp – Red chili powder (as needed)
- 2 tsp – Coriander powder
- Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp – Oil
- 1 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram (ulunthu/urad dhal)
- 5 nos – Curry leaves
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- 2 tbsp – Coconut grated
- 1 or 2 – Red chili
- 1 tsp – Cumin seeds (seeragam)
- 1 tsp – Fennel seeds (perunjeeragam)
- 1 or 2 – Cashew nuts
- Soak black channa overnight and pressure cook for up to 4 or 5 whistles or until it cooks.
- Grind all the items given in the "Grinding masala” list and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan;splutter mustard,split black gram,and curry leaves.Add asafetida also include finely chopped onion sauté until it become tender.Now add chopped /puree tomato cook for sometime.
- Next add turmeric,red chili powder,coriander powder along with salt and fry until raw smell goes off.Then add the cooked black channa and ground coconut paste along with required water;cover and cook in medium flame for a while or until the gravy thickens to a semi thick state.
- Serve hot with chappathi or white rice.