Simple stir fry with pudalangai / snake gourd and bengal gram along with freshly ground masala which goes well with white rice and rasam.
- 2 cups (heaped) – Pudalangai / snake gourd (chopped as shown in picture)
- 4 tbsp – Bengal gram / kadalai paruppu
- 1 no – Onion (chopped finely)
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 2 nos – Dry red chillies (add as needed)
- Salt as needed
- 2 tsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram / Ulunthu
- 4 or 5 nos – Curry leaves
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- Wash and soak bengal gram / kadalai paruppu in enough water for 30 mins. Set it aside.
- Dry grind cumin seeds and dry red chillies in a mixie to a coarse powder. Set it aside.
- Cook chopped pudalangai and soaked bengal gram in enough water along with turmeric powder till they are well cooked. Drain water and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given in the list for seasoning. Add onion along with required salt, saute until translucent.
- Add cooked pudalangai and bengal gram, saute for a seconds. Then add freshly ground cumin chilli powder and saute until raw smell goes. Simple and yummy pudalangai poriyal is ready.
- Dry grind cumin seeds and dry red chillies to a coarse powder and not to fine powder.