Beetroot is a rich source of potent antioxidants and nutrients, including magnesium, sodium, potassium and vitamin C, and betaine, which is important for cardiovascular health. It is good to include it in our diet once in a week. Beetroot rice is a mild but flavourful dish for school going kids. Healthy way to eat our favourite food.
- 1 cup – Raw rice / Basmati rice (i used raw rice)
- 3 nos – Beetroot ( Medium sized)
- 1 no – Onion (chopped finely)
- 2 or 3 nos – Green chillies (as needed)
- Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp – Oil
- 1 tsp – Fennel seeds / sombu
- 6 or 7 nos- Fresh curry leaves
- Wash and soak rice for 30 mins. Pressure cook rice (raw rice 1:2 ratio / basmati 1 : 1 1/2) for 3 to 4 whistles or until well cooked. Spread the rice in a wide plate and allow them to cool completely.
- Take a big vessel, add in peeled beetroot (chop them as shown in the picture) along with enough water and cook until well cooked. Allow them to cool and grate it, set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with fennel seeds and curry leaves. Add onion, green chillies along with little salt, saute until they are golden brown in color. Then add grated beetroot along with required salt and saute for few minutes.
- Add cooked rice and mix well everything together. Simple and yummy beetroot rice is ready.
- For raw rice the ratio will be 2 cup of water for 1 cup of rice. For basmati rice 1 1/2 cup of water for 1 cup of rice.
- You can add 1/4 tsp of garam masala powder or whole garam masala to this recipe for additional spice and flavour.