Ash gourd / White pumpkin / Poosanikai is loaded with nutrients. It's an excellent source of vitamin B1 (thiamine), a good source of vitamin B3 (niacin), and vitamin C. It is also rich in many minerals like calcium. Its high potassium content makes this a good vegetable for maintaining a healthy blood pressure. Raita prepared with ash gourd goes well with roti or parathas.
- 1 cup – Ash gourd / Poosanikai / White pumpkin (grated)
- 1/2 cup – Curd /Yogurt
- Salt as needed
- 3 tbsp – Coconut grated
- 1 or 2 nos – Green chillies
- 1 small piece – Ginger
- 1/2 tsp – Cumin seeds
- Water as needed
- 2 tsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram / Ulunthu
- 5 nos – Curry leaves
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- Heat a pan, add in grated ash gourd and enough water to cook, bring it to boil. Cook for 10 mins or until well cooked. Allow them to cool.
- Grind items given in the list “for grinding” to a fine paste. Set aside.
- Now take a mixing bowl, add in cooked ash gourd, 1/2 cup curd, ground coconut paste along with salt needed, mix everything well together.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given in the list for seasoning. Pour this seasonings over ash gourd yogurt mixture. Ash gourd raita is ready to serve.
- You can also cook ash gourd in microwave instead of directly cooking on stove.