I have already posted tomato thokku made with tomato and onion. This is another version of tomato thokku which is made purely with tomatoes. It also takes very less time to cook. This is a good combo for chappathi while traveling.
- 3 nos – Tomatoes ( Medium sized)
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1/2 to 1 tsp – Red chilli powder
- Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp – Sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- Few curry leaves
- Wash and chop tomatoes into big chunks. Transfer chopped tomatoes in a mixer grinder and grind them to puree. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given in the list for grinding. Add pureed tomatoes along with little salt, cover with lid and allow them to cook for 2 mins.
- Add turmeric powder and red chilli powder, saute until raw smell goes. When the oil separates from the thokku switch off the stove. Excess oil will help the chutney to stay fresh for a longer period.
- Now tasty tomato thokku is ready to serve. It goes well with dosai, idly and chappathi also.
- While making this thokku always cover the pan with lid because it helps to avoid messy spilling and takes less time to cook.
- You can store it in the refrigerator for few days.
- You can increase or decrease the red chilli powder as per your spice level.