Momos is a type of dumpling native to Tibet and Nepal. Over the years, it has become very popular in the Indian states of Assam and Manipur; where people have started eating as part of their staple diet. Momos can be prepared with vegetarian or non vegetarian filling. I prepared vegetable filled momos, which was mild and tasting good. Kids will love this for sure and serve it with spicy sauce like chilli garlic sauces or schezwan sauce etc.
Yields approximately 12 momos
For Outer layer:
- 2/3 cup – Maida / all purpose flour
- 2 tsp – Oil
- Salt to taste
- Water as needed
For vegetable stuffing:
- 1 tbsp – Oil
- 1 cup – Cabbage (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup – Carrot (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup – Beans (finely chopped)
- 2 tsp – Garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 to 3 tbsp – Spring onion (chopped)
- 1 1/2 tsp – Soya sauce
- Pepper powder as needed
- Salt as needed
Making of outer covering:
- Take a mixing bowl, add maida, oil and required salt, mix well.
- Add water little at a time and knead to a firm dough. Cover the dough and keep it aside for 30 minutes. Now outer layer is ready.
Making of vegetable stuffing and momos:
- Heat oil in a pan, add garlic and saute for few seconds. Followed by chopped onion along with salt, saute until translucent.
- Now add mixed vegetables and cook them until they are 1/2 done. Then add pepper powder and further cook them until vegetable are 3/4 done.
- Add spring onion and saute for few seconds. Then add soya sauce and saute for few seconds until the mixture is dry. Check for salt, pepper or soy sauce, if required add more. Switch off the stove and keep it aside.
- Divide the dough into small balls of equal size. Now start rolling the balls into thin circle. Ensure that the edges are very thin and the center is slightly thick.
- Place 1 or 2 tsp of vegetable stuffing in the center and start pleating the momos by holding the edges (as shown in the picture). Towards the end, join the pleats in the center and seal it properly.
- Heat a idli cooker or steamer, place momos and steam it for 5 to 10 minutes or until well cooked. Serve vegetable momos with a spicy sauce like sriracha sauce, schezwan sauce, spiced soya sauce or tomato sauce.
- Do not over steam momos than required because it will became rubbery and dry.
- I used rice cooker steamer for cooking momos. It took 10 mins for me to cook perfect momos.
- Cooking time depends on the steamer you are using like idli cooker method, rice cooker steaming method, pressure cooker or any other steaming method.